Friday, February 15, 2013

Where in The World is Reklaw???



Our place is on a county road in the southern tip of Cherokee County, Texas.  The county seat is Rusk, which is about 10 miles to the West. To the East is a very small place called Reklaw, which is simply Walker spelled backwards.  There is a story behind that name. I'll leave you to Google for it, though.

The road is paved (sorta) and is a dead-end.  There are only about 10 parcels on the road, so you get to know who is coming and going pretty well.  I will introduce you to some of them on the blog over the coming days/weeks/months. I will use first names only to retain their privacy.  After all, they choose to live where they do because they value solitude and privacy.  I intend on enjoying some of that solitude myself.

For instance.......

We have the guys at the end of the road who seem interested mostly in partying (as evidenced by the beer cans seen now and again along the road). But I just pick them up and add them to my collection of scrap. Thanks for the aluminum, guys.....party on!!!

We have the couple with the horse farm who raise pleasure horses. I enjoy hanging out on their deck in the spring and watching dozens of hummingbirds flit about from feeder to feeder.  I have a couple of feeders on my place, but he has a great deal more on his deck. He keeps an eye out for my place and I always get a call from him if he sees a car on the place he doesn't recognize, or freezing or stormy weather is going to happen when I'm away. 

Just past them and down a short dirt road is another couple who built their own house about 35 years ago,  I kinda like it, because the great room has a cathedral ceiling that runs from end to end and it is glassed from floor to ceiling at each end, so the trees and fields and cows seem like part of the house.
They are retired now, and they travel a lot. They have always been on the liberal side of things, and I'm sure that has tweaked many a nose over the years. I like that about them.

Then there is the elderly woman who lives in the log cabin in the woods across the road from me. You can't see anything but her driveway from the road. She and her first husband (she outlived two of them), built it from the ground up using timber they cut on the property. For many years she just had a dirt floor, now she has a wooden one.  All the door and cabinet hardware were hand made by her first husband (he was a blacksmith by trade). She still cooks on a wood stove and has no qualms about running pesky raccoons out of her garden, shotgun in hand.

There are a few more characters I will introduce later.  I need to get to bed before the sun decides to come back up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are much appreciated